A MAN accused of sexually assaulting a sick woman in his care has been refused bail in Dubbo Local Court.
The man appeared in handcuffs before Magistrate Andrew Eckhold yesterday on four strictly indictable charges of having sexual intercourse without consent in circumstances of aggravation and one domestic violence-related charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
The alleged offender, from Wellington, cannot be named to protect the identity of the woman.
The court heard the man had received a government pension to care for the woman.
Police allege the offences occurred over several days at locations in Wellington and Dubbo.
Magistrate Eckhold described the sexual assault allegations as extremely serious.
The court heard the alleged victim and a number of children had relocated to another part of NSW but police still held concerns the man would try to contact them.
“The woman suffers from epilepsy and is very unwell,” the police prosecutor told the court.
“(If approached) she may not have the capabilities to protect herself.”
The prosecutor said if the accused was convicted he was likely to serve a lengthy prison sentence.
“We ask that bail be refused,” the prosecutor said.
The man’s solicitor said he had been coming to court “on and off” for seven years and had not breached bail during that time.
“He has no intention of breaching bail,” the solicitor said.
“My client has no funds to abscond and does not have a passport so he will not be able to flee the country.
“He is mindful that his father would lose a substantial amount of money (lodged as bail surety) if bail was breached.”
Magistrate Eckhold refused bail for the welfare and protection of the alleged victim and the community.
Charges were adjourned to Wellington Local Court on January 11.
Dubbo Court House
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 苏州美甲学校.